Posted: December 5, 2023
The Ontario Wine Appellation Authority offices will be closing at noon on Friday Dec. 22 and re-opening on Tuesday Jan. 2, 2024. We wish all of our winery members a safe and happy holiday season. Here are some other important dates to note:
- December, 1, 2023 – last day for samples to be received by LCBO for lab testing in 2023*
- December 8, 2023 – deadline to include ingredient lists for European export certificates (VI-1 Forms)
- December 13, 2023 – last Tasting Panel for 2023
- December 18 – 29, 2023 – Annual LCBO shut-down
- January 5, 2023 – First Tasting Panel of 2023
The LCBO lab has reinstated RUSH requests for laboratory services. This service can be used to reduce the turnaround time on the lab test to a week instead of 12-14 days. The fee is $155 +HST. Please request a RUSH request through VQA Services. The request requires LCBO advance approval so please contact us if your samples are urgent and we will make all necessary efforts to expedite.
ICEWINE – CHECK YOUR BRIX BEFORE YOU BLEND
Remember – When you are ready to harvest:
- Text EDM Associates (Errol McKibbon) at 289-219-3065 when picking begins and to test the brix for each batch and record volumes.
- Ensure proper registration ID numbers are recorded with the test results.
- Record the actual (frozen) tonnes harvested.
- A batch can be any amount of grapes harvested from a single vineyard registration and pressed in a continuous process. A batch could be from grapes harvested every day for several days but not on two separate days a week apart.
- Do not mix grapes from several different vineyards in the same batch.
- Check your brix before you blend.
IMPLEMENTING NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR VI-1 FORMS TO INCLUDE INGREDIENT LISTS
The application for the European Export Certifiate (VI-1 form) will be modified to include a list of ingredients in Box 6. Please be prepared to provide a list of ingredients for each wine that conforms with the EU guidelines when you apply for the VI-1 form. This information will be gathered in the application wizard (online). See the guideline here.
Wineries should be aware of the new European regulations that require labels for all wines produced after December 8, 2023 to include a list of ingredients and a nutritional fact panel. Please contact your winery association or Wine Growers Canada for more information.
CONSULTING ON REGULATION CHANGES COMING
OWAA will be consulting its winery members on a suite of proposed changes to it regulations. Look for an email on this in the next few days! We value your feedback.
WINE COUNTRY ONTARIO TRAVEL GUIDE 2024/25 PARTICIPATION PACKAGES RELEASED
Participation for the next edition of the Wine Country Ontario Travel Guide have been emailed to all VQA wineries. The deadline to commit participation is December 18th, 2023. Listings and ad materials are due on January 15th, 2024. Don’t miss out on being a part of the go-to Guide for Winery Tourism!
Click here for the participation form. If you are participating for the first time, or would like to update your existing listing, please reach out to Mallory for additional paperwork.