Media & Resources
The Ontario Wine Appellation Authority is an independent authority responsible for administering and enforcing legislation governing Ontario’s wine appellation system.
If you are looking for media support and resources for wine stories, tours, wine events etc, please contact the Wine Marketing Association of Ontario at [email protected] or visit www.winecountryontario.ca.
For information on Ontario's wine appellations and VQA wine regulations, you are on the right website.
Appellation overview videos:
Lake Erie North Shore
Niagara Regional Appellations
Niagara On the Lake
Niagara Peninsula sub-appellations
Four Mile Creek
Short Hills Bench
St. David’s Bench
Twenty Mile Bench
- VQA Sparkling Wine
- VQA Icewine
- VQA Rose Wine
- VQA Wine Sales Production Volume & Value Trends
- VQA Skin Fermented White Wine
- VQA Single Varietal Baco Noir
- VQA Single Varietal Cabernet Franc
- VQA Single Varietal Chardonnay
- VQA Single Varietal Gamay Noir
- VQA Single Varietal Merlot
- VQA Single Varietal Pinot Gris
- VQA Single Varietal Pinot Noir
- VQA Single Varietal Riesling
- VQA Single Varietal Sauvignon Blanc
- VQA 10-Year Statistics - All Charts
- VQA 10-Year Statistics - Excel Spreadsheet
INDUSTRY PERFORMANCE STUDIES
INDUSTRY PERFORMANCE STUDIES
An annual industry survey on sector health and profitability was conducted by the Appellation Authority and Deloitte over a 5-year period. The survey and report were developed in 2015 in consultation with representatives of the wine and grape industry and the Government of Ontario.
The study was aimed at providing benchmarking and performance data to support the reporting commitments of the Wine and Grape Strategy and to improve the industry's access to sector performance information. The reports provide an overview of the financial state of the industry, including the impact of tourism and hospitality.
- Our Story: A Cool Climate Wine Region
- VQA Quick Facts postcard
- Visit Wine Country Ontario Guide
- Handbook for VQA Wineries (how to navigate the program)
- OWAA Brand Guidelines
- VQA Medallion Graphics Standards Manual
The Ontario Wine Appellation Authority ensures truth-in-labelling for consumers of Ontario's wines of origin. 100% Ontario and 100% integrity. Find out how the Ontario Government protects consumers at Consumer Protection Ontario.
Our mandate includes protecting consumers through truth-in-labelling and providing educational resources about our appellations, wines and the regulatory framework.
If you are looking for information beyond the Appellation Authority’s scope please contact our provincial industry colleagues.
News & Announcements
In this update:
- Holiday Closure
- RUSH Requests
- Icewine – Checking your brix
- VI-1 form changes for exports
- Consulting on Regulation Changes
- Wine Country Ontario Travel Guide 2024/25
On November 2023, Locust Lane Winery pleaded guilty to 12 charges under the VQA Act.
Great quality and small crops were the hallmarks of the 2022 vintage in Ontario. Excellent weather in 2022 resulted in high quality across the province but the crop size was limited in both Niagara and Prince Edward County. Lake Erie North Shored was blessed with both quality and more normal yields.